Gunnison was established in 1874 and is the County Seat of Gunnison County. It is centrally located in the State of Colorado, 200 miles from Denver and 180 miles from Colorado Springs. Nestled 30 miles west of the Continental Divide in a sprawling valley, the elevation here is 7,703 feet. The economic base in the County is primarily tourism, followed by education and ranching. Gunnison, CO is a community rich in history.
For Relocation and general community information download the Community Fact Sheet, courtesy of Gunnison Chamber of Commerce, otherwise please find the relevant Gunnison & Crested Butte information below helpful.
Western State Colorado University
Gunnison is home to Western State College of Colorado. WSCU is one of Colorado’s top, 4-year, fully-accredited undergraduate institutions. It employs approximately 275 people full-time, and enrollment comes in at about 2,400 students. Western State College University offers a unique and balanced combination of academic programs, student-to-teacher ratio, excellent facilities, and up-to-date curriculum.
- Visit the Western State Colorado University website at www.western.edu
The Regional Airport
The Gunnison/Crested Butte Regional Airport features the longest single runway in the state, with an Instrument Landing System certified for jet traffic. It is regularly served by airlines providing regional air transportation to Denver and direct ski flights to other major cities.
Below are some helpful websites for Gunnison area information.
- Curecanti National Recreation Area
- Black Canyon National Park
- Bureau of Land Management
- United States Forest Service
- Colorado Division of Wildlife
- Western State Colorado University
- Gunnison County Government
- City of Gunnison Government
- City of Gunnison Parks and Recreation Dept.
- Gunnison Crested Butte Tourism Association
- Gunnison Country Times (Weekly Newspaper)
- Gunnison Country Shopper (Weekly Shopper)